There is nothing like a brand new year to inspire change, and the key to success is often a shift in thinking. Whether you are already on your way to a happier, healthier you, or you plan to begin your weight loss journey New Year’s Day, here are some tips for loving yourself throughout the process… not just when you reach your ultimate goal:
1) Buddy Up: Friends and family will begin to notice the change in you after a while, but having a friend who is on her own journey will ensure you have a cheerleader from day one. An accountability partner is priceless, especially when motivation begins to wane. If you don’t have a buddy nearby, online groups are a great way to keep yourself accountable and feeling positive.
2) Treat Yourself: Rewards are powerful tools, and planning them throughout your journey is a surefire way to stay on track. Choose rewards that you’ll look forward to and will make you feel good. Some ideas? A spa day, a new outfit complete with Bandelettes, or a day out with friends. Be sure to write your goals and rewards down, so you’ll have a visual reminder of what you’re working toward.
3) Dress the Part: Wearing clothes you love can be a major confidence booster. It’s understandable that many women wait to buy new clothing until they’re nearing their weight loss goal, but donning an over-sized wardrobe will downplay your hard work. Wear what makes you feel good, and don’t be afraid to be thrifty! Some sizes are easier to find on sale racks, and it’s always fun to hunt for a bargain!
4) Shake it Up: Exercise offers so many benefits, and varying your routine will keep it fun. If you’ve been walking or running, try a class at a local gym (many will let non-members try a class before making a commitment). Incorporate strength training to burn even more calories throughout the day. Regular exercise not only aids in weight loss; it boosts mood and energy, too!
5) Think Positive: Every weight loss journey is unique, but there’s often a plateau period when it may be necessary to reevaluate your goals and your approach to reaching them. If your weight loss comes to a screeching halt, be kind to yourself and remember that it’s normal. Always dwell on your accomplishments rather than the discouraging times. With a few tweaks, you’ll be back on your way in no time.
6) Don’t Downplay Your Success: The compliments are bound to start rolling in, as people will not only notice your new body but your newfound confidence, too. Accept compliments proudly, and share your story with others. You may just inspire someone to make a life change, too!
7) Hide the Scale: It’s tempting to hop on the scale every time it’s within sight, but frequent weighing may have a negative impact on your success. Limit weigh-ins to weekly, and be sure to weigh in at the same time each week to keep it consistent. And take your measurements… those inches add up fast!
Following these simple steps will allow you to enjoy the entire weight loss process. Don’t wait to celebrate YOU until you’ve reached that big goal… celebrate the little things. You deserve it!